First Look: Artists’ VR is a new virtual reality exhibition in the form of a free mobile VR app for iOS and Android, featuring six commissioned works by leading artists: Peter Burr with Porpentine Charity Heartscape, Jeremy Couillard, Jayson Musson, Jon Rafman, Rachel Rossin, and Jacolby Satterwhite.
A first-of-its-kind initiative, the exhibition explores possibilities for experimental animation in mobile virtual reality. The six works range from fantastic original worlds to moving social commentary and include:
- An astral memorial to victims of police violence (Musson)
- A guided meditation through landscapes taken from the game Call of Duty: Black Ops, drained of violence and transformed into an ethereal dreamworld (Rossin)
- A journey through a fantastical industrial nightclub (Satterwhite)
- A portrait of a woman navigating an unfolding labyrinth (Burr with Heartscape)
- A simulation of the afterlife (Couillard)
- An unsettling dive into an alternate world rife with avatars both banal and magical (Rafman)
HOW TO USE “FIRST LOOK: ARTISTS’ VR
- Download the free First Look: Artists’ VR app for iPhone or Android. You must have iOS 9 or later, or Android 4.4 or later. The First Look: Artists’ VR app will also be available for Gear VR, downloadable at the Oculus store. (See additional device compatibility information below.)
- Connect to Wi-Fi to avoid data charges.
- Open the First Look: Artists’ VR app and search through content.
- Choose a work to download or stream.
- Use a Google Cardboard or another viewer, or simply turn the phone to landscape mode, to experience all 360 degrees of the video.
- If possible, wear headphones. If you do not have headphones, turn up the volume on your device