Director: Danny Ben-Moshe
Genre: Doc Feature
Running Time: 1 hr 16 min
General Admission: $15
Students: FREE (*for our rules and regulations on Student tickets, click HERE)
Buy Tickets HERE
Sulochana. Pramila. Nadira. These are the names of the most celebrated movie stars of Bollywood’s silent era and Golden Age. Few know, however, that these names belonged to three Jewish women – denizens of India’s 2,000-year-old Jewish community. With a willingness to play more provocative roles than their Hindu and Muslim counterparts, these stunning and talented performers shattered barriers and achieved international fame in their own right.
With spry animation and a bright, energetic Bollywood soundtrack, director Danny Ben-Moshe traces the untold history of Bollywood cinema and the Jewish actors that helped transform it into the celebrated art form we know today. Whether you’re a fan of Bollywood cinema, or you’ve always been curious about the history behind India’s booming film industry, SHALOM BOLLYWOOD will surely widen your arsenal of film knowledge or serve as the perfect primer to India’s most successful cultural export.
Featuring a live performance and Bollywood Dance demonstration by Swati Chaturvedi of the Community Bollywood Dance Project!
Special Guests: Kartik Nair, Assistant Professor of Film and Media Arts at Temple University; Swati Chaturvedi, creator of Community Bollywood Dance Project (CBDP).
For Fans of:
- Bollywood cinema
- Films about the Jewish diaspora
- Indian culture
- Indian history
- Jewish history
- Atlanta Jewish Film Festival
- Denver Jewish Film Festival
- Houston Jewish Film Festival
- Miami Jewish Film Festival
- Palm Beach Jewish Film Festival
- San Diego Jewish Film Festival
- Santa Barbara Jewish Film Festival
- Seattle Jewish Film Festival
- Toronto Jewish Film Festival
- UK Jewish Film Festival
- Washington Jewish Film Festival
- “Lively, upbeat and entertaining.” (Deborah Young, The Hollywood Reporter)